Aperture – The Basics
Manual Mode Tips, Techinique

What Is Aperture or F Stop?
Understanding aperture or f stop is extremely important to shooting on manual mode.  We touched on aperture in the How to Shoot on Manual Mode post but let’s explore it a little more.  According to Wikipedia, aperture is a hole or an opening through which light travels.

Shooting “Wide Open”
Another thing to keep in mind about when people talk about aperture or f stops is they say they their aperture is “wide open” or a “narrow” or “smaller aperture”. When people say they are wide open or to “open up your aperture” they mean to lower your number. For example, if you are shooting at f3.5 and you open up your aperture you would change it to maybe f2.8 and if you want to shoot wide open you would change it to the lowest number possible depending on your lens.

How Your Lens Opens
Basically, the wider your aperture is the more light that will come in. This diagram helps you understand how the smaller number brings in more light and why people call it “wide open”. This shows you how open your lens is at each setting.

Creating Blurry Backgrounds
The thing I love most about setting my aperture is creating those blurry backgrounds that look so professional :O) Plus, if you are shooting in your house and have your aperture wide open it helps to hide the mess that may be in the background :O) That is one of my favorite tricks :O) Here are a few examples of what a picture will look like using different aperture settings. Notice how in the ones where my aperture was wider there is some great bokeh and as my aperture was more closed up you can see all the details in the background.

Here is another example for you (you know how much I love picture examples :O)

Did you notice in the first one there is a huge tree that is coming out of her head?? Nope! Thank you aperture!!

As if you didn’t have enough examples of the blurry backgrounds, I wanted to show you another example but with flowers :O)

Thanks to my friend, Trisha, for being such a great model :O)

• Amber
    November 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Great examples! I’ve been telling lots of my friends about your blog…it is SO helpful! Thanks for starting it.

• November 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Thanks! I appreciate you spreading the word :O)

• November 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM

OK this helps a lot! I didn’t understand about the “wide open” thing.
    And the tree-head is hilarious.

• November 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM

LOVE these pics of Trisha! She looks like a model. I wish I had an adult to practice my photography on. haha.

• November 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Wow, there is another Amber!!!

I think changing the day and the theme is a great idea. I had no idea there were so many photo challenges out there, but I have learned there is far less participation on Friday’s. My Journey of Faith would probably be better if I would change the days.

did you get my email?

• Trisha
    November 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Stop, Janell, stop. You are always way cuter than me. :))

• February 9, 2011 at 8:35 AM

this was extremely helpful! your blog has really helped me change the way i take pictures. thank you!

• February 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM

That is wonderful to hear!!

• May 11, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Hi!! Just dropping a note to tell you I LOVE your blog, and I totally appreciate all the tips and tricks! I’m new at this, and I linked to you in my most recent post about shooting in Manual! Hope you check it out!!

Cheers.

• May 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Will go check it out :O)

• Tina Carlson
    May 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I love the different examples…I am a visual person, like most of us and this is very useful!
    Thanks again

• Leann Thompson
    May 21, 2012 at 3:16 AM

This was so awesome. I need help shooting inside I totally struggle with getting it right.. I’m shooting in aperture mode with a speed light but I just can’t get it. Help????

May 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Leann,

I wish I could help you but I have never shot in aperture mode or used a speed light. What lens are you using? Are you shooting with your lens wide open (lowest number). Low lighting inside is a challenge but the speed light should help you with your exposure. I would suggest setting your aperture as wide as it can go. Good luck! Sorry I’m not much help on this one!

• June 11, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Hi! I’m an Italian blogger and photographer. This is one of the best blog about photography that I found! It’s clear and well explained!

June 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Welcome! Thanks so much! Glad you found this post useful!

• Denise
    July 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Thanks for the post. Has me wanting to learn to shoot in manual.You explain it so simple that I may be able to do some of this.

• July 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Thanks! I hope you do decide to shoot in manual mode! I promise you will love it!

• xochitl
    November 14, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Love you blog, i have been so addictive to all of your posts, keep up cheers to a wonderful work. And thanks for sharing with us all of your knowledge!!!!!

November 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Thanks so much!!

• amanda
    January 6, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I have been practicing with wide open apertures (f/1.8, f/2.2) on a canon 50mm 1.8 lens but noticed that the subject in the pictures always seems “soft” when I use them. The model is in focus in comparison to the blurred background, but I have to bump up the clarity in post processing to make it look sharp. Am I missing something in terms of shutter speed or ISO that would help this problem?

January 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Mmm…are you choosing your focal point?? http://clickitupanotch.com/2010/09/changing-your-focal-point/ Is anything in your photo sharp? Just wondering if maybe the focal point is falling on something other than your subject. Is your shutter speed fast enough to get a sharp image? Around 1/125 or higher?? Feel free to send me a picture with the settings and I can look at it for you :)

• Meghan
    January 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Great post–the examples are so helpful. Thanks!!

January 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM

That is fantastic to hear :) Thanks!

• Liz
    August 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Thanks! I’m so glad I found your blog. It has helped me so much!

• Courtney Slazinik
      August 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That is great to hear! Welcome!

• greta
    November 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I love the bokeh effect from using smaller apertures. What I hate is that in getting that lovely bokeh, it is a constant struggle with how much depth of field I can get. It’s a rare day that I can get everything I want in focus because I have such a small depth of field when opening up the aperture. Very frustrating to me. I shoot in manual now, but this is something that hurts every macro I shoot.

• November 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Macro is really hard. When I shoot macro I normally shoot with my aperture around f/9 and worry more on focus than bokeh :)

• November 20, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I love shooting in AV mode! ever since I have discovered how beautiful bokehs are, I have been shooting in AV. Now, I am loving Manual. You tutorial is awesome especially picture tutorials. Made it easy to understand and apply.
    Thank you!

• November 21, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Thank you so much! Glad you are enjoying the tutorials :)

• Elizabeth
    November 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM

My problem with shooting wide open is my focus. I’ll get half of my daughter in focus and half of her still blurred. Sometimes I feel like I may be standing too close to her and should back up a few steps. I also toggle one single focus point, which may also be one of my issues. Do you recommend an autofocus setting that would capture more of my subject than just a single point focus?

• January 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Thank you for this website! I just got a nikon D3200 for Christmas and was overwhelmed by it. I read the manual and was even more overwhelmed. Your website breaks it down so simply. I finally feel like I am beginning to grasp the manual mode. Up until now I have just been doing the point and shoot. But this isn’t why I got the camera. I have always wanted to explore and learn more about photography. Again thanks!

• January 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Thank you for your kind words :) So glad you it is starting to make sense for you!

• Trish
    February 18, 2014 at 4:01 PM

so glad i found your website! i’m new here and i love it! thanks!!

• Theresa Weiss
    May 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Great examples! Those really help clear aperture up for me!

Thanks!

• June 18, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Nice examples.

• Carole Botha
    June 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Thank you for this website and all your information. It is great that you take such trouble to take shots to demonstrate to us the difference in apetures. I have learned much from your site and look forward to your emails to find out more.

• Amber Pitre
    September 18, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I love shooting “wide open” when I have one subject, but every time I have two subjects I have a hard time getting them both clear, while not closing up all the way. How do you find the perfect number without trying every one? It’s nice to still have some background blur…

• September 22, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Amber, one rule of thumb is to have your number at the same number of people are in the photo but I would say close down even more. If I’m photographing 2 of my daughters I may shoot at f/4. It also depends on what plane they are on. If they are on the same plane you are more likely to get them in focus than if they are on different planes in the image.

• Megan
    September 19, 2014 at 2:40 AM

Hey Courtney.. love the picture examples! quick question..
    i have a 50mm 1.4 lens and when i shoot my kids from far away and then zoom in on the photo i just took of them they aren’t clear. my question is when i shoot from far away (like 10+ feet away) with this lens should my aperture number be higher? thanks for your help!!

• September 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Hey Megan,
      Their faces will not be as tack sharp if you are further away than if you were closer. It has something to do with the amount of pixels in the image. So I wouldn’t worry too much about that. :)

• September 19, 2014 at 5:30 AM

Great examples! Thanks!!!

• October 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Great examples, thank you so much

• October 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM

As you changed the aperture you also change the ss, but you didn’t write the example for that

• October 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Yes, you will need to change the shutter speed depending on the light you have available :)

• charles barnabas okhipo
    December 18, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Hi my name is Charles, i am based in Nigeria and have been gathering e books and videos on DSLRs so far yours is the most helpful ever. It is so easy to understand and guides properly. Thank you for this assistance.

• Pamela Sundberg
    May 14, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Hi, Courtney… So grateful to find your help and examples… I just am starting and don’t even have a DSLR yet, but hope to figure out which one as I read your blog… My question is… What does it mean when they say to “stop it down”… I get confused… Thanks! P

• May 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM

When you read to stop down or use a smaller f-stop then you should use a larger number for your aperture.