Menu
Project 365 – Here We Go!
Lifestyle

I feel like I say it all the time and it is time to take my own advice again. Doing a Project 365 in 2010 was one of the best and FREE things I did for my photography. Shooting everyday, being intentional about what I’m shooting, and daily editing really helps you to focus on your photography.

project 365 click it up a notch

I decided it’s time to do another one. I tried a second 365 in 2011 but only made it half way through the year. I’m bound and determined to complete another year.

The excitement to capture those everyday moments that I have missed because I haven’t picked up the camera is something I’m really looking forward too.

I have set some goals for myself:

1. Don’t be come obsessed with capturing the perfect moment that I don’t enjoy the moment.
It is so easy to get caught up photographing that special experience that we forget to put the camera down and enjoy it. I’m going to do my best to not let that take over.

2. Take more self portraits.
My first 365 I did a Monday Me and tried to take a self portrait each Monday. Not sure if I will stick to a weekly self portrait but I am definitely going to work hard to get in front of the camera as much as possible, despite what I’m wearing or if I have make up on.

3. Edit daily.
One of my favorite things about 2010 is ALL those images are edited. Since I was shooting daily, I also edited those photos daily. It took some time but it became part of my routine and so I’m not behind on editing for that year. However, 2011, 2012, and 2013 are a different story.

4. Comment and encourage other photographers doing a Project 365.
One of my favorite things about doing a 365 besides improving my photography was the sense of community it created. There was a small group of photographers who I followed and we ended up following each other. We encouraged each other, shared our joys and our sorrows from that year. I really felt like I got to know them. 3 of them are now contributors here – Jen Bacher, Laurie Flickinger, and Melissa Noste. I would have not had the privilege of getting to know these gals and meeting two of them in real life it if weren’t for my first Project 365.

Join us

Do you want to join Jen Bacher, Laurie Flickinger and Allison Jacobs as we embark on another Project 365 starting November 1, 2013? I know it isn’t the beginning of the year but now is as good of a time as any to start. We are going to need your encouragement and we would love to encourage you! I know I wanted to quit around day 250 in 2010 but it was the encouragement I received from others doing the project that kept me going.

We want to encourage you!

Link up your blog HERE if you are going to do a Project 365 or Project 52.

Grab the button to let others know you are doing the our Project 365 and encourage each other. Find a few photographers you click with and encourage them through the year.

Click It Up A Notch

Click It Up A Notch

So start your blog, pick up your camera and join us on this incredible FREE journey to improve your photograph over the course of the next 365 days.

I don’t currently have plans to do a daily theme but every now and then I may create a month’s worth of daily prompts to help us keep going.

I hope you will follow along on my Project 365 journey! I’ll need all the encouragement I can get! I’m starting November 1st. Are you?
365

• Kat
    October 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM

YES. YES. YES!

• October 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I think I will join you! I did a year of Photo a Day with prompts (Fat Mum Slim blog) and sometimes I loved the prompts and sometimes I hated them, but take a photo I did. Everyday. It was fun to look back and see the month of photos. I think the self portrait idea is a great one, I love to see people!
    Do you try to use your camera every day or do you also allow phones?! I have recently started a weekly photo round up on my blog, so this will fit in nicely to that!
    See you Friday!

• October 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

There is only one rule – take a photo everyday. It is up to you to make up your other rules :) Excited to follow along on your journey :)

• October 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Ooh I’m going to try! I just got my 6D so it sounds like a great way to begin practicing and navigating the new equipment!

• October 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

What a perfect reason to start a 365! Congrats on your new camera!

• October 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I would LOVE to join in! And, I also need all the encouragement I can get! My biggest flaw (or one of many, I’m sure) is following through. …with anything. I tried to do a monthly blog challenge, and made it through half the month. I’m pathetic! LOL I think part of me worries I am no good since I’m really just starting out. Haven’t begun to learn manual mode and editing. …I’d love to get better with composition and all that as well. So, we’ll see. I’d LOVE to bump up my photography abilities, so maybe this will help. I need SERIOUS encouragement and if anyone out there has tips, techniques, critiques, they are MORE than welcome!!

Good luck to you! I love your work and your advice! I look forward to seeing your images!! :)

• October 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I hope you do join! My first one I did I was just barely shooting on manual mode. I was learning and found it was one of the best ways to really push my photography forward. :)

• shannon
    October 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM

do you have to be a photographer or can you be someone with a camera who is just trying to learn how to use it?

• October 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I want to start this. I will try my best and see if I can do it. I just created a blog site for me. So, how does this work? I an new to blogging. How will others see my posts? Do I have to add a follow button on the blog?

• October 29, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I’m every bit the amateur photographer but I did this for a month early this year and absolutely loved it. I believe I will give it another try. Thanks for putting this challenge out there!

• Julie
    October 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Can you use both phone and camera? I was thinking of doing a 365 starting the beginning of the year….Also, do you have to have a blog?

• October 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM

You can use whatever you want. You set your own rules/guidelines :) It is up to you where you want to post your images.

• Holly Madison
    October 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM

So I’ve never actually participated in a 365 before! I am very excited to do this…So it doesn’t matter what we photograph as long as we are clicking away on the daily?

• October 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM

No, you set the rules :) Just take a photo everyday! Excited you are joining in!

• October 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Hi,

2 days ago I started my first 365 photo project! I love it! And today after I saw your post, I thought the best way to promote my pics would be a blog! In these two days i’ve uploaded my photos on my facebook page! But now I have my old blog updated specially for this project! Hope you like it!

Good luck and inspiration! :)

• Stacy
    October 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I don’t have a blog or website. Can I still do it? Or, can you recommend a free blog site to post my pics?

• brandy
      October 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I just want to follow this comment….I would like to know the best blog site to use :) Thanks!

• October 29, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I’m following this comment too :) My current blog/website is focused on different content/not really personal-related, so I think I’d like to start a different one for my 365 project. I currently use Weebly for my host but would like to know who you recommend (that’s still free, I hope ^.^). Thanks!

• October 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I would suggest http://wordpress.com/ for a free blog site :)

• October 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Courtney,

Good for you for starting another 365 :)

I am on day 337 or my current 365; may I still join you and continue on when I get to the end of this 365?

Thanks and take care!

• October 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I want to say yes SO bad!! I did one in…2007/2008? I’ve been trying to do another since and can. not. stick to it. I even tried making it less work by going for the 52 self portraits challenge but even 1 weekly fizzled out. Now with Instagram I’ve seriously slacked on using my camera and I need the oomph to get back into it again. *crossing fingers I stick with it*

• October 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM

You can totally do it! Plus if you join us we will peer pressure the heck out of you not to quit :)

• October 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I only have my camera on my phone (it works for now) I’m hoping to get a camera soon. I’d be so excited to join. Thanks for the opportunity! <3 Kim

• October 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Ohhh love this. I decided to do FMS Photoaday back in July she gives out a month of prompts so not a long commit I thought. I went again in August and found some of the prompts not great. The next month I created my own rules and took a selfies styled photoaday which included a part of me in the photo and represented that day. A brilliant way to document my life that month. This was 3 months in a row so. I was addicted and my photography was improving rapidly, or maybe that was my confidence. This month I have followed Lorna Jane’s prompts, an active wear brand and to be honest it is far too repetitive. I am deciding what to do in November and here you all are. I am totally ready and anyone wondering if they should join in, i would say go for it, the fact you read this blog suggests a passion for photography and what better way to indulge that passion daily. Ready, Set Let’s GO

• October 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more! I am 10 months into my first 365 project and even though some days are difficult, I have seen my photography improve in leaps and bounds. I love that I will have a year of intentional photography improvement under my belt as well as a fantastic collection of photographs when the project is done.

• October 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Way to go!! You are almost done and it is quite a feeling of accomplishment!!

• Tracy
    October 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Yes, I will be doing the 365 a year challenge. I also think I am going to start a blog about it as well.

• October 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Just started a new blog that’s supposed to be mostly dog agility related ..may have to include a few snaps once in awhile from this project. I will join up occasionally or do a weekly roundup :)

• October 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM

So excited to see other people planning to start Friday too! I hope for a little push now and then and will return the love to anyone in need.

• October 30, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Awesome! Yes, I find that when I comment on other people’s blog they comment back then I comment back and it’s a wonderful cycle :)

• October 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I’m so in!!!

• October 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Ive never had an interest in doing a 365- but now that I have a daughter, I am home with her. I feel the STRONG PULL TO DO THIS!! eeks! ok! I am in! :)

• October 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Staying at home with a sweet subject will do that to you :)

• October 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I’m in. I have always wanted to do one and you are right now as good time as any. I think I am actually going to try to take them with my phone and post on instagram, because that way I know they will get posted everyday.

• October 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Awesome Sarah! Yes, doing it on your phone on IG is definitely a great way to capture your year as well! You should create you own hashtag so all your photos are in the same place if you want to look back at the end :)

• October 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I’m really excited to do this, and love the accountability of doing it with others. Solo efforts are lonely journeys :-) I recently upgraded to a D7100 and have had a whiff of some success with getting hired and published; enough to know I want to get better every day. Great idea. I look forward to meeting others in this group of with like minds. Non-photographers do not usually “get” us!

• October 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Yes, meeting other photographers is so fun through a 365!

• October 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Oops, posted the wrong web link. Forgiveness please!

• October 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I’m in. I have not done this before but I want to learn manual on my new DSLR and I think this would be the perfect opportunity. I am looking forward to learning from others and being part of the community. I posted about it on my craft/life blog http://thevuefromhere.blogspot.com/ but I intend to use, what was originally intended to be my photo journal, which is http://ctygirlgonectry.blogspot.com/
    looking forward to seeing everyone’s work.

• Alesha
    October 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I’m in. I have always wanted to do this. Plus I think by taking a picture everyday it will help me my photography skills. I had a blog years ago, maybe it’s time to revive it.

• October 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Yes, it will DEFINITELY help your skills :) How could it not if you are practicing every day :)

• October 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Eeek Im so excited!! This will be my first 365 project and I love the idea of picking up the camera every.single.day! I hope we all give each other the push and encouragement to complete this! Feel free to comment on my blog post so I know I have some followers and can follow you back too! Good luck everyone! WE CAN DO THIS! -Amy Marten Photography

• Karen Schaffer
    October 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I am currently doing a 365 Project that is set to be finished on Dec. 31. I would love to join in yours.
    Can I start on January 1 or do I have to start on Nov. 1.
    Also, I am not a blogger. How do I join in?
    Thanks.

• October 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM

You can start whenever work for you :) If you want others to be able to comment on your photos then I would suggest starting a blog. You can do one for free at http://www.wordpress.com

• Teresa savage
    October 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Going to try and keep up with this 365 Project. My plan to is to do a blog post each Saturday evening with my photos from the week … we’ll see how it goes :)

• October 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Ok, I am going to join! I’ve started and stopped so many times! I actually JUST started a 30 day black and white project, but that’s OK! I’ll still continue!!

• October 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I love that idea! I’ve considered doing a black and white challenge sometime in my 365 :)

• October 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

HI!! I’m on the hook and you’re reeling me in… but I have couple of questions.
    1) The first and most pressing is about blogging. I have one. Not crazy about it. One thing, it is a wordpress.com blog on which it appears only wordpress users are able to comment. That’s rather exclusive :( I’d like it to be open to anyone, but I can’t figure out how to make that happen. Can someone give me some pointers here??
    2) Work flow. If I commit to this my photo volume will jump more than it already has in this past year that i’ve become an photography addict. My hard drive is struggling as it is. What do people do? Do they push straight to external drive? I’ve got my archive on my internal hard drive on my laptop as whittled down as I can get it, so I need more strategy.
    Thanks!!

• October 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM

1. There is a way to allow people to comment with a WordPress site. Maybe this will help – http://en.support.wordpress.com/who-can-comment/

2. I keep all my images on an EHD to keep my hard drive from getting bogged down.

• Tracey Wendel
        October 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Oh Courtney thanks so much for the info!! I really enjoy your blog! I’m excited to join your 365 – I hope I can keep up :) I haven’t done one before, so here goes :)
        I just got an updated camera and it’s a different system than my current gear, so I’ve got lots of opportunity to learn.
        Thanks so much for sharing on your blog, I am sure I will reference it plenty :)

• Laurie Flickinger - Contributor
          October 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Yay! Glad you are joining in Tracey!!! You got a new camera? Exciting! :)

• Tracey Wendel
            October 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Yep Yep!! FF baby!! :) Nikon D600….and wait for it…

it came with a 85 1.8G!!!! Blah!!! That lens is AHHHHHHmazing!!!!!! SO beautiful!! Yum!!

• Laurie Flickinger - Contributor
              November 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I’m so excited for you!!!! Now we can speak the same language ;) And I do LOVE my 85. It’s my favorite lens outdoors :)

• October 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Hi Courtney & Team!.. I have been a fan of this website for a long time.. Thank you all so much for taking your precious time to do this for all of us!..

The 365 project is something I have done with a Christian website using a word and Scriptures from the Bible. This will be my 1st 365 photo a day. So I am pretty excited.. I was blessed with the money to get a Nikon D5100 so am looking forward to what this next year will hold in pictures..

Thank you all again for taking your precious time to do this for all of us!..
    Brenda

• October 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM

How exciting! I love the idea of a 365 with a Scripture as well. Excited you are taking this on!

• October 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I’ve so desperately wanted to try and do this project for the longest time now. I’m just afraid of failing. I love the whole linking up and encouraging others thing, though. Maybe if I have people rallying with me, we can all make it through the year. Quick question: Are you posting from the day before or same day???

• November 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

That is completely up to you :) And don’t be afraid of failing! I post the same day but that works with my schedule.

• November 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Don’t be afraid of failing! And that is completely up to you. I post the same day but that works with my schedule.

• October 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Courtney, I found your blog a couple weeks ago and it is awesome! Thank you for sharing your photography knowledge. I cant stop reading! haha My daughter in law and I are just getting our blog up and running and will link up tonight. We both are excited to join you on the 365 on our blog. If you have time read Nicole’s story she is amazing. Thanks Becky

• November 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Thank you! I love that you are doing it with your daughter-in-law! What a fun project to do together!

• October 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM

So excited…I made It to about 65 days the last time I attempted a 365. LOL! Can’t wait to see everyone’s photos! =)

• Annette
    October 31, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Sign me up!

• November 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Awesome! Did you link up your site to the link in the post?

• November 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I’m a budding photographer, and creativity coach. I really hope I remember to do this each day. :) I think I’ll take one each day, and then post the weeks worth on the blog.

• November 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I am very nervous about this! I am a terrible blogger! But I am just learning to shoot in manual and need to practice, practice, practice! I’m sure this commitment will push me to be consistent! Can’t wait!

• November 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

This is the perfect project for you! Don’t be nervous. You’ll create a routine in no time.

• November 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I am in! A bit nervous, but I am doing it! Just started a new blog (didn’t want to use our family blog for this project). It’s a work in progress but I am excited for it to all come together. Looking forward to seeing all of your projects. I’m going to need the motivation and encouragement! :)

• November 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I’ve been thinking about 365 for a while and yours pushed me to start mine. Thank you!

• November 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Is it too late to start? Maybe I can do Project 353?! What do you think?

• November 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Of course not! It’s never too late to join in. Start today, tomorrow, or next week. Just link up so we can follow along :)

• November 13, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I just posted my first week! A little behind already, but excited to keep going!

• November 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I know I’m a bit late in starting this project, but better late than never. You have a wonderful site, just up my street. I started my own 365 Special today, and you have inspired an “old girl’ learning photography in retirement. Keep up the good work

You can see my project on http://www.pamela-reynolds-photos.com/

Many thanks

• Jody Kennedy
    November 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Hey! Love your blog. I always get excited about the 365 and am good for about a month and then my excitement fades quickly! I did get ahold of this app for iphones which was a life saver and helped a lot with the 365 http://www.learnphoto.ca/apps. Great photo assignment app and helps with ideas when in a rut!

• December 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Hi!
    I was thinking about trying this, but I take tons of pictures. So I was wondering can you only take one picture a day with a 365 photo challenge?

• December 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You can take as m any photos as you want :) You can post as many photos as you want. You make the rules. You just want to be sure to take at least one photo a day.

• Christy
    January 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Thanks for this awesome idea! I started yesterday and am a bit worried about keeping up with it, but am so excited to try! BTW, I just recently started following your blog and I love it! I have learned so much more and things that didn’t make sense before have become clearer! Thank you…Thank you…Thank you! Also following you has made me more excited to get myself back into photography. Something I have been meaning to do for a really, really long time.

• January 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I love hearing you are excited about getting back into photography! Yay! Don’t worry if you are can keep up with it. Just take it one day at a time :) Thank you for your kind words!

• April 22, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Just started. You are awesome!!!! You have helped me so much. I mentioned you on my contact page. Look forward to sharing and seeing our posts.

• April 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I started Project 365 a couple of weeks ago, and I wanted to let you know that I am having so much fun participating in it. I am by no means a professional – I’ve been taking photos all my life, mostly on the auto setting lol. This project has given me the courage to switch that dial to “manual” and play around with settings I never even knew existed. I love getting up in the morning and thinking about what journey my camera is going to take me on that day. I have already met some real nice ladies who have stopped by my page with encouragement. Thank you for creating this project page. It has made me see the world with whole new eyes :-)

• April 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM

That is awesome! A 365 is such an amazing project :) That is great you are making friends through it!

• Sojy John
    June 10, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Just got inspired by you again and starting my first ever 365 project.. :) https://sojyclicks.wordpress.com/2017/06/09/sojyproject365-2017/