5 tips for creating a more intentional Instragram feed
Photography Ideas, products
5 tips for creating a more intentional Instragram feed

Do you instagram with purpose? Now I’m not asking if you instagram for business, but rather, are you using your instagram in a way that takes it beyond the screen and literally into your home? If your answer is no then I hope that today’s post changes that!

0D3B9572

Many of you probably have no idea who I am, let alone my journey as an entrepreneur but not too long ago I created journals that kept all your family memories in one place. Well I learned A LOT and one of those things was that it was not the season for me to be doing that. But I still wanted to keep my family memories in one place, and not just on the internet somewhere. There is something irreplaceable about physically flipping through pictures that the digital world just can’t match.

I fell in love with Instagram when it first came out and it has became the main place I post my photographs to digitally. I knew that what I needed was something that could easily take the digital world and bring it to my fingertips. That’s where Chatbooks comes in! I love my chatbooks, mainly because between Instagram and Chatbooks I don’t have to do any extra work to get the books printed. Chatbooks takes your Instagram feed and puts that into a book, and every 60 posts creates a book and then they print and ship without you having to lift a single finger! Lifesaver for this busy mom! If you haven’t tried them I highly suggest you do!

So I decided to be a little more intentional about how I was using Instagram, knowing that the posts were going to be printed in my Chatbooks. Here are 5 tips for creating a more intentional Instragram feed with printing in mind!

5 tips for creating a more intentional Instragram feed

Keep things chronological

For memories sake you’re going to want to post things as they happen, they may not need to be posted right that second, in fact I highly recommend waiting until you’ve enjoyed that family memory, being present is always better than posting! But it’s always nice to know that as you’re looking back at a memory book that things are in order.

0D3B9595

If you post about the past tie it to the date or something relevant to current time

I have a few pictures in my books that are old images I posted just because and they kind of throw me off if they aren’t tied to the date or something that more closely ties to that moment in time. For example, a photo of my kid on their birthday from when they were born totally works ON THEIR BIRTHDAY, and fits with your ‘story’.

Don't over post

This is just a personal preference but I like my Instagram to be the ‘highlights’ not every single thing, it can be too much at times. I’m very conservative and most of the time will only post one image from a moment to use as the highlight, I think the most I’ve ever done from one moment is about three to five images, and that’s when I’m getting a little wild! The great thing about Chatbooks is that you can add pictures that weren’t posted on Instagram to your books, so that’s a great option if you want more pictures from that particular moment without making your Instagram too crazy.

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 4.00.48 PM

Don't over hashtag your caption

Call me crazy but I’m guessing by the time our children are parents the world of hashtags will be ancient and your grandkids will wonder why the heck there are so many hashtags! It’s great to use them, especially if you want to grow your following or to keep all the images of say your pup to then make a book just about your pup! If you plan to have that caption printed with your pictures I suggest that you put those hashtags in a comment after you’ve posted the picture.

Use whatever camera you have

I feel like with all the beautiful instagram feeds of professional photographers the pressure to have these perfect images to post is intense. They use their best camera, make sure the images fits their style, and all of that can be too much pressure! Don’t miss out on capturing a memory just because you don’t have your ‘real’ camera, that phone of yours can do the job. Each of these photos below was taken with two different cameras!

0D3B9575

When you look back at my instagram feed you can see when I made the shift towards being more intentional with my posts, truthfully I think my feed looks a lot prettier since I started applying these 5 tips to every post I make!

And now that I’m getting them printed my kids actually get to enjoy the pictures too! They never see what gets posted to Instagram but they do see each book as it arrives in the mail :)

0D3B9585

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • Rachel baker
    April 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Great tips! My Instagram is @rachel_baker_photo

• Rikki
    April 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM

I absolutely adore that you print your images into books. Such a fun way to share with your kids, I know mine love looking through them too! Thanks for the tips, @rikkirivera

• Julie
    April 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM

I love the tip about using the camera you have. My phone camera is terrible compared to my DLSR but sometimes, I love the pictures from my phone the most because they were taken right then, when it happened, not at a later date when things looked “prettier.” My IG name is @foodiesgonnafood

• Callie
    April 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM

I need to try chat books! I’m way behind with my scrapbooks. My Instagram is @calliesandbergphoto

• Heather
    April 13, 2016 at 6:16 PM

I have been making a photo book each year just off of our instagram pictures. I am really bad about finding the time to get pictures printed. Printing our instagram feed has been great to not only remember what we have done the past year, but keeping the times and dates in order. I am not always interested in these pictures being the best quality, but just being something to spark our memories of the times we had together as a family. I also find that it is easy to just whip out my phone and capture a spontaneous moment than run and grab the camera. My instagram feed is @4wileyfarm

• Yvonne Reynolds
    April 13, 2016 at 6:26 PM

If Instagram had been around when my kids where little, I totally would have gotten on board with putting a little more ‘purpose’ into my Instagram feed. But for now, I love that I can still pull from my Instagram feed to create Chatbooks when it works for me. I love Instagram for sharing little bits about my day @yvonnelreynolds

• Alissa G
    April 13, 2016 at 6:34 PM

I need to get on chat books for sure!!! Great tips my insta is _the_sauce

• Nancy Fox
    April 13, 2016 at 6:41 PM

I’m fairly new to Instagram and am enjoying it…. Chat books sound fun-I love pictures. Thank you for the tips! @Nfox59

• Joshua Mast
    April 13, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Thanks for the tips! My feed: @mastjosh99

• Casey
    April 13, 2016 at 7:07 PM

I love Chat Books! I just got my first one a few months ago. Thanks for sharing this article about making your pictures meaningful. It’s also a nice way to see how you have grown as a photographer. My IG is @caseyklicephotography

• Darcel
    April 13, 2016 at 7:09 PM

These are good tips! I’m always on the lookout for how to make my IG better while being myself. I’m @mahoganywaymama

• Silvina
    April 13, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Great tips! I need to get some prints from my IG @sil_fotos
    Must explore some of the other users IG feeds :)

• Anna
    April 13, 2016 at 7:43 PM

My IG is @annapriceadair
    I’m already following a lot of ‘Click It Up A Notch’ ladies and the feeds are beautiful, incredible and inspiring…to say the least. I might have a look at a few more above now….
    Am checking out Chatbooks for sure.
    Awesome tips!

• Eva
    April 13, 2016 at 8:36 PM

I love the idea of little photo books. It is definitely on my to-do list! I thoroughly enjoy looking at IG accounts that present well. So many talented folks out there that are everyday people too! Find me @evejenine

• Elizabeth
    April 13, 2016 at 8:44 PM

My IG is @lizziemarques
    Great tips! I absolutely love the idea of the ‘chat books’. On my to do list for sure!!

• Kelly
    April 13, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Thanks for sharing this idea! I finally started an Instagram account this year and have been searching for solutions on how to creatively print all of my photos. This may be the right fit! My IG is @kelly.crews

• Elizabeth Hodge
    April 13, 2016 at 8:52 PM

I loved this! I will definitely look into Chatbooks. My Instagram is @my_everyday_photos

• Averil
    April 13, 2016 at 8:54 PM

• Jenny
    April 13, 2016 at 9:00 PM

I printed through artifacts uprising but will check out cagtbookd as well. Thanks for the tip re:#hashtags……ya definitely want them in a separate comment so they don’t print out! You can find me @jennybgib on IG. Thanks Courtney!

• Emily
    April 13, 2016 at 9:29 PM

This was great! Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be coming back to this post in the future :) My IG is @behindthecamera93

• Claire
    April 13, 2016 at 9:45 PM

<3 I definitely think IG should be a highlights reel if you have a business. Great tips! My account is http://www.instagram.com/clairebrightenphotography

• Sara Oberlander
    April 13, 2016 at 10:19 PM

Thank you! I can never have enough Instagram tips! My account is @picadillystudios.

• Heidi Eitreim
    April 13, 2016 at 10:42 PM

I keep wondering if I need to add images from my ‘big girl camera’ to my Instagram account, but your post helps me to remember that I started my account to document things I otherwise would miss. Thanks for helping to clarify things in my mind. :)
    You can find me on IG @withheidijoy

• Stephanie
    April 13, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Great tips!
    @gouldingandgrey

• Kim
    April 13, 2016 at 10:55 PM

Thanks for all the tips!! I love reading your posts, they are so helpful!!
    @kimhaddenphoto

• Stacie
    April 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM

I need to try chat books, loved your tips! @staciezphotography

• Angelia
    April 13, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Awesome! A very brilliant and easy way to keep your memories handy. I need to get back to my instagramming. Thanks for the tips. @angeliasims

• Amanda Franklin
    April 13, 2016 at 11:30 PM

Thanks for the great tips!! I’m excited to try out Chatbooks now!!! @amandakfranklin

• Ashley
    April 14, 2016 at 12:42 AM

Great post! I’m @ashleydaleyphotography

• Dano church
    April 14, 2016 at 1:19 AM

It’s great to be intentional. @danochurch

• Agnes
    April 14, 2016 at 1:52 AM

I only started using instagram a few months ago and I love it! I actually ended up creating two accounts! One account for my travels (@blackpepperabroad) and one account to share all my dog photos haha (@sargentstails) because I take waaaay too many of my pup haha.

I always seem to struggle getting my images off the computer and into print. Ill have to give chatbooks a try!

• Maximo
    April 14, 2016 at 2:34 AM

Hi everybody
    greetings from Rome….
    I am a simple amateur photographer, and this is my IG account : @photo_maximo

ciao

• Anna Signý
    April 14, 2016 at 2:55 AM

Hey :)
    Here’s my Instagram @annasigny_photography
    I post all sorts of stuff :) Landscapes from Iceland, selfies (sometimes) and other stuff that is going on in my life :)

• Kari Ganske
    April 14, 2016 at 8:56 AM

Great tips. I definitely need to print more! My kiddos love looking at our vacation books and finding all the pictures of themselves. I also can’t wait to visit the IG feeds above. Mine is @kariganskephotography

• Daniel Portilla
    April 14, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Great tips Marissa, thank you. I especially agree with no. 3: Don’t overpost. Tends to make even good friends annoying to have on your feed.

@portilladani – specialized in travel and nature photography

• Jaclynn Wilkinson
    April 14, 2016 at 3:25 PM

This was a really great concept to call to mind this morning. Thank you, Marissa! Challenge ACCEPTED!

@sincerelyjaclynn — Engagement, Wedding, Boudoir, & Portrait Photographer.

• Danielle Whitaker
    April 14, 2016 at 4:47 PM

Thank you for the great info. I’m just starting out on my photography journey. As if right now, I do it as a hobby, but would like to move into making a small business out of it. My IG name(s) are:

Professional: kizzie_bea_imagery
    Personal: mrs_dani_whitaker

• Nicole B.
    April 14, 2016 at 9:41 PM

These are great tips! I love how you mention getting thone digital photos to print as I completely agree with how there is just something irreplaceable and cherished about printed images – I have yet to try out Chat books but am hoping to sometime soon!! I too have made the shift and am trying to make my IG posts more intentional and meaningful…so hoping that will help those books come out nicely! My personal feed is: @n33ko

• Tasha
    April 15, 2016 at 3:21 AM

Love the way that you print your Instagram images! I use Artifact Uprising to print my images straight from my phone onto card stock and the results are absolutely gorgeous! I’m at @tasha_tea ☺️

• Sandi Lee Aldridge
    April 15, 2016 at 8:26 AM

Thank you Courtney for all your emails and posts. God gave you a talent and you aren’t afraid to share it. God Bless You!

Sandi Lee Aldridge IG @sandibear69

• Pam Belanger
    April 15, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Thank you for the great tip about chat books, I really need to print more of my photos especially for the kids to enjoy! I’m @this_beautifuljourney

• Brenlee @ Life on Lake Street
    April 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM

Great tips! I am working on improving photos not only for my blog, but for my blog’s Insta page! Thanks to your posts and workshops, I think I’m getting better – https://www.instagram.com/lifeonlakestreet/ @lifeonlakestreet

• Marite B. Smith
    April 15, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Great tips for all photographers (still working on figuring out instagram) ~ thank you ~ @Maritebee

• Jocelyn
    April 15, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Love these tips! @elinaraephoto

• Ericka
    April 16, 2016 at 2:40 AM

Thank you for these wonderful tips!! @eivettelpz

• Nicole
    April 17, 2016 at 9:18 PM

These are all great tips! Building a following on social media is not easy. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Instagram account: @nickyhighlander

• candice
    April 19, 2016 at 11:18 AM

great tips :)

@DENVER_DOBIE

• KC Crow
    April 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM

I’m just getting started with Instagram so thank you for the tips! @crowsnestphotos

• Gloria
    April 24, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Thanks for the tips! I have to post more, love the idea of the chat books as no one really have prints anymore. My Intagram is @perfectshotsbygloria