I have been very fortunate to be surrounded by others who love photography. As you know, my friend, Megan Cieloha, is the one who got me into photography. I continue to call her and ask her questions quite often. After we moved, I found some other friends who I convince to like photography :O)
A little less than a year ago, another friend introduced me to one of her good friend’s who was a photographer, Aspen Burke. I have to admit, I was super intimated to go get coffee with a “real” photographer. She was in business and took amazing images!
Now, she isn’t my competition because I’m not in business but I have heard some people say they didn’t want to befriend their competition in fear of them stealing their clients. I think that is crazy! Below are several reasons you should get to know your “competition” and become friends.
1. You have a buddy to talk photography to who isn’t going to get sick of talking/listening about it. I have talked my husband’s ear off about photography and he kindly listens but I know he has no idea what I’m talking about. Aspen and I get together for coffee, catch up on life and then chat photography most times. It’s so fun to just sit and talk about our passions.
2. You can trade services. Aspen contacted me several months back and offered to pay me to do a session for her and her hubby. First off, I almost fell out of my chair because I couldn’t believe she would want me to take her photos. I told her I didn’t take photos for a fee but I would trade services. I was so excited when she said she would love to. I had a fantastic time taking photos for her and her husband. However, I was so nervous I’m pretty sure I couldn’t form words. I had never taken pictures for a “real” photographer before. I had the best time though! She just recently took photos of me and my family and I ADORE them!
3. You have someone to go shooting with. My sister and another friend, Trisha, and I went out about a year ago to practice backlighting and silhouettes. It was so fun to take one or two kids with us and just focus on practicing. Another friend, Tracy, and I were just talking about how we need to do this again. What a great way to focus on a skill while hanging out with your girlfriends.
4. You can try out/trade gear. I love being able to try out something before I buy it. I know my friends are the same way. There are a few of us who use Nikon and we have borrowed lenses and camera bodies before when in need.
5. You can learn from each other. When Aspen took our family photos, I was able to learn things just by being in front of the camera. I realized she is very intentional about her images. She isn’t clicking alway like a crazy person (like I sometimes do). I am constantly trying to slow down and shoot more intentionally. It’s fun to watch another photographer in action!
Below are just a few of the images Aspen at Aspen Burke Photography took for our family. I have already ordered one to be blown up to a 24×30, another is going to be a 16×20 canvas and I have all the other ones getting printed as well! I love these so much! Thank you Aspen!!! She also took my new profile picture which I love!
Do you have local photographer friends? Are you friends with your competition??