Photographers can pay it forward and you don’t have to be millionaire or 10k photographer to do so. As your career blossoms you will find yourself showered with people who want to help your business succeed. Some info may be free and some course you may have paid for but non-the-less you are learning from those who want to help the photography community.
There will come a point in every persons career that their eyes open and they realize just how far they have come. You may feel like you are at that point now. You may also just be starting out and think it might be too early to pay it forward.
I assure you, it is never to early to pay it forward or give back.
I have been so bless to learn so much from the protogs (Katelyn James, Jasmine Star, Rebekah Hoyt, and others) that I regularly follow that I found myself also wanting to help out the community.
Naturally, writing articles about photography is an immediate option. You really can help others with “How To” and “Top Tips” posts but if you find yourself wanting to do more I created a list of ways photographers can pay it forward.
No.01Giving Back Through Non-Profits
- PhotoPhilanthropy promotes and connects photographers with nonprofit organizations around the world to tell the stories that drive action for social change.
- Flashes of Hope organizes photographers and children with cancer to have a photo session that guarantees a lifetime of memories for that children. These images are changing the way that child see him/herself.
- The Giving Lens organizes teams of photographers to volunteer in humanitarian efforts in impoverished areas of the world.
- Operation: Love Reunited is a non-profit organization that provides free professional photography sessions and photo gifts to our military families dealing with a deployment. We have photographers located world-wide, and we also have a branch in Australia covering their military persons.
No.02Giving Back Locally
- Give Free Introductory Classes at your local library. It doesn’t even have to be photography related, just something your passionate about and willing to help other.
- Donate prints to a coffee shop or small business. This will help decor and help spread your name too. Of course, you would have to provide the canvas or prints.
- Donate a family portrait session to someone who might not be able to afford one. We call this a compassion shoot and its a great way to surprise some and make there day. Plus, you may eve be able to use it as a tax write-off.
- Photograph a Non-Profit doing work in the community. For example, take pictures at the next Habitat for Humanity work day or local Chamber of Commerce event. You could even turn it into a blog post!
- Or simply, Donate Proceeds to an organization that you really like what they’re doing.
Now, to be completely honest, I don’t feel like I could do all these but I do plan on doing some (and then writing about, of course). Do you feel inspired by this list of top ways photographers can pay it forward?
Please comment below about other ways you can think of that would be good for this list. Or, better yet, tell us about your experience with one of these ideas.