Literally, take 10 steps! That is the trick I used this week to help me get out of my photography rut. Several other photographers have mentioned that they are in a rut and need a boost. I did a little research and heard about this creativity exercise.
- Go to a different location (I picked a local shopping area)
- Take 10 steps and take a photo.
- Get creative with your angles.
- Choose different subjects.
- Look for interesting lines or repetition.
- After you captured your photo – take another 10 steps.
- Repeat all the of the above.
You will be surprised at what you see that you probably wouldn’t have noticed if you weren’t forcing yourself to stop and look around. I loaded the girls in the stroller and they had a great time going with me and helping me find something interesting at each place we stopped. You don’t need to do this for a long time. I probably only did it for about 15 minutes and felt more inspired.
Another bonus of this is you will get over your fear of shooting in public. I’m sure the Japanese thought I was some crazy American taking pictures of the ground, roofs, light fixtures and anything else I could see.
Here are the photos from my 10 step walk. Would love to see yours!!!
What do you do to help boost your creativity and get out of a photography rut?